College Readiness Social Science Teachers
AP® Human Geography Teachers
6 hours (1 Day Workshop)
12 hours (2 Day Workshop)
Human geography is a fascinating subject that many students can learn to enjoy and apply in their lives as they think critically about the world and abstract social concepts. In this workshop, we will explore various techniques to enhance interdisciplinary strategies and techniques commonly used by AP® Human Geography teachers. Participants will engage in strategies and techniques to support student content knowledge, critical thinking, literacy and technical application skills.
● Acquire techniques to help students analyze and relate theoretical and historical concepts to contemporary global issues,
● Explore multicultural viewpoints,
● Develop skills for approaching problems geographically, using maps and geospatial technologies,
● Adapt critical thinking techniques to examine texts, historical documents and data
● Learn to apply information to draw conclusions and identify phenomena,
● Analyze the impact of technological innovation on transportation, communication, industrialization, and other aspects of human life,
● Develop lessons and ways to help students analyze struggles for political power, control of territory, conflicts over the demands of ethnic minorities, the role of women in society, and the inequalities between developed and developing economies,
● Dissect various environmental, political and social constructs and apply them to analytical writing and opinion development,
● Assist students in their ability to produce clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience
● Assist and encourage the use of technology to gather relevant information, and
● Assist students in their ability to conduct short and extensive research projects to answer questions or solve problems.