Examining research-based instructional strategies to effectively promote writing for English Language Learners (ELL)
College Readiness Teachers
Pre-AP® English Teachers
AP® English Teachers
6 hours (1 Day Workshop)
Empower and equip your English Language Learners for college-level writing and examination. Writing for success can be easier with the proper preparation, tools and strategies. In this one-day, interactive workshop, we will provide research-based strategies, structures, resources and skill development to increase ELL teachers' understanding of effective writing instruction for ELLs.
● Analyze strategies to help build effective writing skills based on existing background knowledge,
● Examine ELL strategies that encourage daily writing practice,
● Explore ways to help students examine sentence structures (syntax),
● Techniques to encourage students to explore topic selection, development and discussion,
● Tools to help construct paragraphs,
● Examine learning structures that promote group work,
● Develop cooperative learning skills and practices for ELLs to write and work with partners, and
● Learn techniques to teaching the examination of writing styles: formal vs informal.
“I learned to be careful with selecting AP® prompts to use, not just as writing prompts, but as prompts for discussion. This can really help prepare my students for the test and perhaps they will approach it with more confidence.”
- AP English Language Teacher – Los Angeles, CA